WSCC was founded by community leaders in 1967 to provide a facility that would assist in the “neighbor helping neighbor” concept in an increasingly mobile society. Originally named the Washington Park Community Center, the name was changed in 1999 to the Washington Street Community Center.
Volunteers are the backbone of WSCC providing over 2,500 hours annually to further our mission.
The original building housing WSCC was built in 1907 by the Ohio Avenue Congregational Church. In 1966 the church merged with the Washington Park Congregational Church (currently located at 400 So. Williams). Phil Goodstein, author of South Denver Saga, picks up the story from there:
“Under the leadership of Elizabeth Clark, the Washington Park United Church of Christ suggested the Ohio Avenue structure be used as a community center. The Colorado Conference of the United Church of Christ agreed and, with the support of the Washington Park United Church of Christ and seven other neighborhood churches, the building was remodeled and opened as the home of the incorporated non-profit Washington Park Community Center in 1967.”
The building has been remodeled through city bond issues in 1995 (upgrading of mechanical systems), 1998 (playground renovation) and 2000 (kitchen remodel).
Jolie Brawner: Executive Director
Cristie Martin: Chief Financial Officer
Carrie Lapham: Children’s Program Director
Jennifer Crandell: Education Coordinator
Current Board Members
Maurice Washington: President
Saskia Sawyer: Vice President
Nora Nye: Treasurer
We are always looking for Board members! If you are interested, please contact Jolie Brawner, Executive Director, for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.